Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Let the little children come to me..."


Today is another day that will make the history books. I am sad to announce that this is the 3rd major school/church shooting in lifetime so far and I hope to never go through another one! My first was the Columbine school shooting. I was in high school and remember just watching the news and crying. The second was the Wedgwood church shooting in Fort Worth, TX. I, again, was in high school and this one hit close to home because I was supposed to be there. It was a See You At The Pole rally and my youth group was supposed to be there. At the last minute my youth minister made the announcement that we were not going to be going because he felt that we were not supposed to go. I remember him saying that he didn't know why but he felt that God was telling him that we were not to go. It was during Backstage, our weekly youth service, that someone came in and let us know that there had been a shooting during the rally. I remember immediately breaking down in tears and falling to my knees and praying. All I could think was "I was supposed to be there" and "Thank you, God, that Johnny followed your direction....that could have been me/us." I went home that night and turned on the TV and just watched...in shock...tears streaming down my face. I don't remember much more of that night. I don't remember turning off the TV. I don't remember going to bed. I DO remember my grandfather calling to see how I was and I was just in a trance the entire time on the phone. I didn't say much more than "uh-huh.....yeah.....ok..." and I remember him praying with me..though I don't remember what was said. It was a horrible feeling and one that I hoped I would never have to go through again. Then comes today. I can't say that it is the exact same, seeing as though I am not in CT so I wasn't supposed to be at the elementary school but I am a mom and as soon as I heard my heart broke. All I keep thinking is why?! Why babies?? 20 children..TWENTY 5 to 10 year olds!!! What did they do to you?? Then I find out the guy who did it was a parent (he wasn't but at the time that came out...) and it was "what?! How could a parent do that?" but at the same time thinking "well maybe the mother was keeping the child from him and he felt "if I can't have mine than no one can have theirs." Make sense? Not really but to my human brain it was an excuse that made more sense than anything. Then it comes out that the shooter was 20 years old. Ok, so not a parent...but his mom was a teacher at the school. Ok, still doesn't make sense but at the same time does make sense; he got mad at her and decided to "hurt her" by shooting her kids and then her. Nope. Wrong again. The mom *was* found dead....AT HER HOUSE. Um....WHAT?! And the brother in the woods and the fact that the shooter wore a bulletproof vest yet killed himself.......IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!!

So what *does* make sense, you ask? God is in control. He makes sense. Someone made the comment on Facebook today that the events of today are the reason that he doesn't believe that "everything happens for a reason." Well, I can see that. I am angry, too, but I also remember that God is in control and we don't know His plan. He says in John 9:3, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."  We don't know God's plan but He is the Ultimate and He knows what He is doing. If one person comes to know Christ as their personal savior through all of this then it is all worth it. Sound bad? I agree, but maybe this is the something that it takes to ensure that one person who has ignored all other calls from Christ will live eternal life with Him. Don't you think that these little children, who may have known Christ, some were too young to understand, and other were never given the opportunity to know Him, are now sitting on Jesus' knee talking to Him and rejoicing that their mother/father/brother/sister/whomever are now going to be joining them one day?? These children have seen the face of God and touched His nail-pierced hands! We are hurting here on earth wishing we had them with us to hold and to kiss but they are sitting up there with God pleading for us to accept Him so that we, too, can all join them and hear the story one day of how they went from being scared and fearful to an instant of the most overwhelming peace they never knew existed!! Don't get me wrong,  I am as confused and angry and brokenhearted as the next parent but I also believe that God is in control and He knows all of the answers and if I trust in Him than one day I, too, will know those answers.

Do you know that if you were to die you would be standing hand in hand with Jesus?


Romans 3:23  "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
We all have sin in our hearts. We all were born with sin.  
We were born under the power of sin's control.
- Admit that you are a sinner.

Romans 6:23a  "...The wages of sin is death..."
Sin has an ending.  It results in death.  We all face physical death, which is a result of sin.  But a worse death is spiritual death that alienates us from God, and will last for all eternity.  The Bible teaches that there is a place called the Lake of Fire where lost people will be in torment forever.   It is the place where people who are spiritually dead will remain.
- Understand that you deserve death for your sin.

Romans 6:23b  "...But the gift of God is eternal
life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Salvation is a free gift from God to you!  You can't
earn this gift, but you must reach out and receive it.
- Ask God to forgive you and save you.

Romans 5:8,  "God demonstrates His own love for us, in
that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"
When Jesus died on the cross He paid sin's penalty. He paid the price for all sin, and when He took all the sins of the world on Himself on the cross, He bought us out of slavery to sin and death! The only condition is that we believe in Him and what He has done for us, understanding that  we are now joined with Him, and that He is our life.  He did all this because He loved us and gave Himself for us!
- Give your life to God... His love poured out in Jesus on the cross is your only hope to have forgiveness and change.  His love bought you out of being a slave to sin.  His love is what saves you --  not religion, or church membership.  God loves you!

Romans 10:13  "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord  will be saved!"
- Call out to God in the name of Jesus!

Romans 10:9,10  "...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting  in salvation."
- If you know that God is knocking on your heart's door,
ask Him to come into your heart.

Jesus said,
Revelation 3:20a "Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him..."
- Is Jesus knocking on your heart's door?

Will you answer? Did you answer? Have you answered? If you have not or you are not sure, please talk to someone who can help you understand and answer His call. Christ is knocking, will you answer Him?

No comments: