Friday, April 27, 2012

It's been an adventure in the Harris household

It all started out Monday morning when McKaela fell out of the truck. Yes..fell out. of. the. truck. She was climbing into the truck to get into her seat so that we could go to her dance class. I was watching her but was on the other side of the truck and looked down for a moment and she fell. I FELT the vibrations on the concrete. I remember thinking "Wow, what was that?" And in that thought I looked up at McKaela and she wasn't there. At about that time I hear McKenna going "ooohhh" and McKaela crying. It was a bittersweet feeling because I was so glad she was crying and moving and at the same time I was scared o death because I knew that she hit her head and I felt so bad for letting her climb. :( So I call my Aunt Joyce, who is a nurse, and get her to tell me ALL of the signs that I need to look for. Great. Good. Got it. I watch McKaela like a hawk all day and she is fine. Eats, drinks, plays, everything. Nonetheless, I put her to bed that night as normal. So, as we all know, the first 12 hours is the most critical, right? Right. Enter the 12-hour mark: McKaela wakes out of a dead sleep throwing up. Everywhere. I clean up, clean her up, and she is still throwing up. Every few minutes she is throwing up. I wake Mark up and ask him what he thinks because internally I am freaking out that she is throwing up because of the head injury. So we call the after-hours line and they say they will call us back within the hour. McKaela is still throwing up every few minutes so we decide to take her to the ER. Actually, Mark takes her while I stay with the other two girls who are sleeping. While at the hospital they check her over and the doctor says that he doesn't think that it has to do to the head injury but he wants to do a CT scan to make sure. Ok. Done. As much as I hated that she had to go through that, I was (and am) so glad that he did it. Official results came back...the vomiting did NOT have anything to do with the head injury. *whew* I was so glad, that I could not stop smiling. Come Tuesday, threw up that morning but I thought that it was due to her downing a whole cup of water first thing in the morning. We took McKenna to dance and came home and she was fine until about dinner time. Come dinner time she started throwing up again. Wednesday she laid around all day and slept. Literally. She woke up at about 6 and by 830 she was passed out. Threw up. Moved couches. Slept. Threw up. Moved chairs. Slept. TOTALLY lethargic. So I called the doctor and they finally called me back and told me to take her right back to the ER. Great. Ok. So Mark gets home and takes her, I call the babysitter and then head up there. I am there 10 minutes and the babysitter calls....McKenna has now started throwing up. Nice, right? So now McKaela has the flu and McKenna has the flu. Awesome. I stayed with McKaela and just held her as she slept and all. Poor baby was hooked up to IV machines and all. So sad. Mark went home to relieve the babysitter while I was there. About 10 o'clock the doctor discharged McKaela...though I am pretty certain that he was reluctant. He definitely didn't want to let her go but in the end he did. By 530 Thursday morning *I* was throwing up. Yay. Luckily, my wonderful mother decided that, after she heard that McKenna was sick, she was coming up to help. *HALLELUJAH!!!* All in all, it is now Friday night and we have ALL been vomit-free for over 24 hours now...WOOP WOOP!!! It has been great having Mom here because yesterday I literally could not keep my eyes open and being able to sleep was incredible!

So that has been my week and although we are not all up to par yet, we are getting there. I am just hoping that Mark and Maisie don't get it. *crosses fingers* I hope that all of you are happy, healthy, and humble. Ciao!

No comments: