Saturday, November 29, 2008

Home at Last

I must say that this past week has been very eventful. The best part was Mark getting home!! Most of last week I had not been feeling very well but honestly I just chalked it up to pregnancy and being like 3 weeks away from my due date. Tuesday I had a slight backache but nothing out of the ordinary; come Wednesday, however, I not only had a horribly intense backache but I was shaking uncontrollably (which was scary, especially being home alone), throwing up, fever, and everything. Thursday was not any better, by now I had called my doctor to ask them if I needed to go to L&D to get checked out or what and they told me to just take it easy and eat light foods and all because it sounded like either the beginning of back labor or a intestinal bug like the flu or something. Well when Mark got home on Friday evening he walked in the door and found me taking my temperature which was about 102 degrees. So since my doctors' office was closed and the hospital didn't give any advice over the phone I called my Aunt to see what she had to say. Her response was that the temperature is what really concerns her so I should go to the hospital and get checked out. So eventhough Mark just got home there we went out the door. We figured that we would just be there for a few hours...nope, I was in there for 4 days and 3 nights. Turns out that I had a very bad kidney infection in both kidneys. I was on constant IV fluids and antibiotics all weekend and I must say that it shows and unfortunately my legs and feet got SO swollen! So swollen in fact that you could not see nor feel my ankle bones, my toes were tiny, and I had rolls on my feet. The swelling has since gone down some but there is still some to go. My hands also got swollen and I am not able to get my wedding band off. Luckily I was able to get my engagement ring off *whew* I would NOT be happy if that had to be cut off. The swelling really threw me off mentally and emotionally. It was such a drastic change in such a short amount of time (a couple days) that it really REALLY messed with me. So much so that when I had to be weighed I did not want to see it or hear it. Mark was my eyes and ears because I did not want to know; all I could do was cry.

Anyway, I got out of the hospital on the night of Monday the 24th at about 930p. I still felt pretty bad but really there was nothing too much else that could be done at the hospital. My blood pressure was slightly elevated my liver levels were slightly elevated as well. With that being said, I had to go to my doctor for a follow-up on Tuesday morning to check my labs, have more labs taken, make sure McKenna was doing well, all that good stuff. From the doctor's office I was sent back to the hospital. I got there and they hooked me up to the monitors for a non-stress test and then came and took some blood. Everything came back good except for my potassium which was by now sllightly low...haha Yeah, what else could go wrong?? After a few hours there I was allowed to go home (woo hoo! I was afraid they were going to admit me again) with instructions to come back the next day for more labs and check my blood pressure and make sure it was back to normal and another non-stress test; all that good stuff. By the time that I got out of the hospital on Tuesday, Eric was at my house!! How exciting!!

Wednesday my parents were getting into town so Mark and I got up and going so that we could hopefully get into the hospital and out before they got here. We got to the hospital and all hooked up and labs done and such and everything came back great! Except now, because of my horrible swelling, I was placed on bedrest. Yep, bed rest over Thanksgiving; until my next Dr.'s appointment actually. So by the time I got released from the hospital, mom and daddy were already at my house. haha Although I was on bedrest I went grocery shopping with them but I rode around in one of those little scooters!! haha It was fun...haha After I got home, however, I was good about my bedrest. I was given a break from the hospital and allowed to go home for Thanksgiving but I had to be back on Friday.

The next day was Thanksgiving!!! We were supposed to have some guys from the ship over but all but one of them bailed. I was pretty upset. I know that some of them were just trying to be considerate because they knew that I had been really sick but I had been looking forward to this big Thanksgiving for weeks!! Thanksgiving turned out to be wonderful, of course!! I didn't let those guys not showing up ruin my Thanksgiving. Afterall, my parents were here and my brother (one of them, Seth had to work so he couldn't come) was here and it was a great time!!! I ate SO much!! haha It was so good though!! I must say that although I was on bedrest and all I had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

Friday morning, although I wasn't really supposed to go shopping (bedrest you know), I got up at 4 and mom and I headed out the door at 430. We didn't go too crazy or anything, just took it easy, BUT we did get out on Black Friday! Shh! Don't tell my doctor!! haha After we got home I laid down and took a nap before heading to the hospital. We got in and I was hooked up and labs taken and all that good stuff and then was told everything looked fabulous and I was allowed to go home. After I got home we really just hung out at the house and relaxed. It was so nice having mom and daddy and Eric up here.

Saturday, today, has been a good day...though mom and Daddy had to leave. Eric and I ate leftovers for lunch (YUM!) and watched The Family Stone then we relaxed some and went to a pizza parlor for dinner. After we got home from dinner we started watching Love Actually (LOOOOOVE this movie!!) and we made sugar cookies.

Well that was my week...*whew* It was very interesting to say the least. I better get off here and spend some time with Eric; he has to leave tomorrow. I hope that ya'll had a great Thanksgiving!!

Ciao!

1 comment:

Kristin 'Pritchard' Frisbie said...

I'm so glad you were home by Thanksgiving and you're feeling better!!!