Friday, July 1, 2016

Make-up Shaming

I wrote this a few months ago but I forgot to make note of when so I could publish it then but here it is now.

We've all heard of body-shaming, mommy-shaming, gender-shaming, etc. for years now and if you are anything like me you are complete sick of it. Anyway, my focus for right now is make-up/mommy-make-up/or lack thereof. One thing I absolutely cannot stand is when I am told, "If you really cared you would take the extra 10 minutes. I don't ever leave the house without at least foundation and mascara." Um...are you a parent of a young child? Two? Three? Four? All step-stool from 6 and down?? Yeah. Now, at the same time I have heard, "I don't need makeup to be pretty. I never wear makeup. Whoever will love me as I am." Ok, great! But have you ever stopped to think about how that sounds? To me it sounds like you think you are better than me and think of me as nothing more than a shell of a person.

I've been told, "if you really cared..." and "what is 10 minutes.." Um....have YOU tried getting 4 children under 5, with one being a newborn, ready to "make a quick trip" to the store? Don't tell me that "10 minutes doesn't matter" because it does! 10 minutes is 10 minutes before lunch time. It is 10 minutes before nap time. It is 10 minutes before baby is ready to comfort nurse. So 10 minutes for you may mean mascara but 10 minutes to me mean something entirely different. Let's just get over the judgement, ok? You say you don't judge but you do. You do. How about mommy would rather her 10 minutes sitting in the toilet room out of the way giving herself a pep talk rather than that 10 minutes putting on primer, concealer, foundation, mascara, and eyebrow liner/filler. Don't think of her as being lazy or her not caring, think of it has she is jus trying to make it. She is rushing out the door immediately after nursing so she can be back in the house with groceries put away before the next nursing session.

Makeup is an amazing tool but remember, it is JUST a tool. Makeup doesn't make a person beautiful.

No comments: